Monday 17 September 2007

Enterprising customers

A customer came to my checkout this morning. She was mid-twenties with a few dreadnots. She looked like a new ager complete with multiple piercings - there must have been at least forty. They were up and down her ears, through and around her nose; at various places around her lips; a few in and around her eyebrows. In fact there were so many, I had difficulty in looking at her as I was serving her. Her clothes looked shabby as though she had changed in a couple of weeks. Don't get me wrong, my job is not to judge but to process people through my till. And I wasn't judging - honest!

I scanned her items and told her that would be £41.23. She then produced a cellofane bag with lots of coins and proceeded to count. She counted and counted - Forty pounds worth of counting.

"Did you do a car boot sale yesterday?" I asked her.
"No" she said "I sold shots at the Isle of Wight festival."
Being not completely with it, I asked what shots were.
"Tequilla. I sold shots of tequilla for a pound. I got all dressed up and went around asking people if they wanted to buy a shot for a pound,"

My opinion of her immediately changed to one of an enterprising person. How clever was that? I thought it was genius. Making money with little outlay. A pound a shot is not alot, something most people can afford.

It just goes to show you can sometimes misjudge people just by what they are wearing and what they look like.

No comments:

Do you think checkout operators are intelligent?